The Middlebury Chamber Music Festival returns for its fifth year in Middlebury, Vermont from June 28-30, 2019.
The focus of this year’s festival is a quartet workshop for adult amateur string players and pianists taught by visiting artists, Miho Zaitsu (cello), Jonathan Weber (violin and viola), Marc Ramirez (violin and viola) and Olivia Hajioff (violin and viola).
The festival hosts will be the Middlebury Community Music Center (mcmcvt.org) and the Middlebury Congregational Church, located across the street from the music center.
Workshop participants will be placed in two chamber music groups and assigned a movement of a quartet to practice in advance then polish over the weekend with the guidance of a coach. Groups and repertoire for the chamber music workshop can be found here: https://middleburychambermusicfestival.com/2019/04/26/chamber-music-repertoire-2019/
There will be two opportunities to sightread with our coaches, on Friday evening we will all gather to read chamber orchestra repertoire and then on Saturday afternoon in small ensembles. Our coaches will offer an intimate open rehearsal performance for participants and their friends and families on Saturday evening.
Friday, June 28, 2019
- 4 – 6 PM Welcome and chamber orchestra reading at Unity Hall. Coaches and workshop participants sight read Baroque and Classical chamber orchestra pieces. Jon Weber Conducts. Bring a stand and *Cellists, bring a rock-stop as the floor is slippery polished stone. Unity Hall (part of the Congregational Church), 2 Main St, Middlebury, VT 05753.
- 6:30-8 Potluck at Joy’s house Details coming soon!
Saturday, June 29
- 9 – 11 AM – Group A Coached Rehearsal at MCMC, 6 Main Street, Middlebury, VT 05753
- 12:30 – 2:30 PM – Group B Coached Rehearsal at MCMC
- 2:30 – 4:00 PM Sightreading Sessions at MCMC (Participants will sightread chamber music with coaches)
- 7:30PM Chamber Music Concert featuring our coaches at Unity Hall (for workshop participants and their families)
Sunday, June 30
- 10 – 12 AM Group A Coached Rehearsal at MCMC
- 1 – 3 PM – Group B Coached Rehearsal at MCMC
- 5 PM – Workshop Participant Concert at Unity Hall (open to workshop participants and their families)
Participant Schedule: Friday afternoon, June 29, 2018 – Monday, July 2, 2018. Coached chamber music sessions will be held at the Middlebury Community Music School (6 Main Street, Middlebury, VT)
Friday, June 29, 2018
- Private lessons with Miho and Jon will be available on Friday before the workshop starts.
- 4:00 Arrival party
- 4:30-5:15 PM 1st groups coached chamber music session
- 5:15-6:00: PM 2nd groups coached chamber music session
- 6:00PM Dinner Break Potluck – Cellists: Beverage, Violists: Salads, Violinists: Appetizer, Casserole, or Protein, Pianists: Linda: Cups and Plates / Becky: Plastic Silverware and Napkins
- 7:00PM Chamber orchestra sight-reading session at Unity Hall at the Middlebury Congregational church. *Cellists, please bring rock-stops as the floor is not end-pin friendly.
Saturday, June 30, 2018
Sunday, July 1, 2018
- 10:00-noon Community Barn Lecture – Lecture, practical tips, and discussion about Practice with violinist Arturo Delmoni and cellist Peter Sanders
- 1:00-2:30 1st groups coached chamber music session at MCMC
- 3:00-4:30 2nd groups coached chamber music session
- 7PM Chamber Music Concert featuring Olivia Haijoff, Marc Ramirez, Jon Weber, Miho Weber at the Middlebury Unitarian Church
Monday, July 2, 2018
- 9:30-10:15AM 1st groups coached chamber music session
- 10:30-11:15 2nd groups coached chamber music session
- 12:15PM Workshop Participant recital at Unity Hall
If you are coming from out of town, here is a packing list!
- Music parts with measure numbers
- Scores for the pieces you are playing
- Comfortable casual rehearsing attire
- Bathing suit (why not!)
- Fabulous concert outfit! (why not!)
- Questions for Arturo and Peter for Sunday morning
- Music stand, rock stop
- Extra strings
- Please comment if I’m leaving anything out!
Wednesday, August 9, 2017
- String Quartet Concert in the Park – A chamber music concert of pop and classical tunes craving the outdoors will be held on the new park opposite the new town hall and the Main Street Rotary in Middlebury, VT on Wednesday, August 9 at 6PM. The string quartet features violinists Jon Weber and Emily Sunderman, violist Elizabeth Reid and cellist Miho Weber. In partnership with the Better Middlebury Partnership. Free!
Thursday, August 10, 2017
- Cello Master Class Miho Weber will offer a master class for cellists on Thursday afternoon, August 10, 2017 from 2-3:30PM in the Salon at MCMC.
- Improv Workshop Community Improv Workshop will be led by Jon Weber on Thursday, August 10, 2017 from 4-5:30 PM in the Salon at MCMC. Registration is open to adults, middle and high school musicians of any instrument.
- Informal Right-reading anyone?
Friday, August 11, 2017
- Private lessons will be available on Friday morning, August 11 at MCMC with Miho Weber and Jon Weber
- Welcome and Gathering for Workshop Participants at 2PM
- Workshop Chamber Music Rehearsals
- Group A from 2:30-4pm
- Group B from 4-5:30
- Optional Informal Sight-reading parties will be arranged for the evening
Saturday, August 12, 2017
- Workshop Rehearsals from 9:30-11 (Group B)
- Improv or Injury Prevention Stretch classes from 11-12PM
- Workshop Rehearsals from 1-2:30PM (Group A)
- Open Faculty Rehearsal from 3-4PM
- Optional Informal Sight-Reading from 4-6:30 at the music school
- Pizza party at 6:30 PM for workshop participants at MCMC!
- Middlebury Chamber Music Festival Faculty Concert will be at 8PM on Saturday, August 12, 2017 at Saint Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Middlebury, VT and will feature Jon and Miho Weber and MarcOlivia.
Sunday, August 13, 2017
- String Orchestra Reading Brunch (Bach Brandenburg and more!!) and brunch for Chamber Music Workshop Participants at Twig Farm in Cornwall, VT on Sunday, August 13, 2017 from 10-12.
- Workshop Chamber Music Rehearsals at MCMC
- Group A from 1:15-2:45pm
- Group B from 3-4:30pm
- Middlebury Chamber Music Festival Concert will be at 5PM on Sunday, August 13, 2017 at Saint Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Middlebury, VT. The concert will feature participants in the Chamber Music Workshop. The concert will be followed by a reception at MCMC (cheese and beverages).